Sigma Tau Delta is an International English Honor Society that was founded in 1924. The Nu Epsilon chapter at MVC offers induction ceremonies each Fall semester. The Sigma Tau Delta honor society is open to students with at least a 3.5 GPA pursuing a major or minor in literature, composition, or other related fields.
The Society strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.
With over 900 active chapters located in the United States and abroad, there are more than 1,000 faculty sponsors, and approximately 9,000 members inducted annually.