Sigma Tau Delta is an International English Honor Society established in 1924, and it is open to students with a 3.5 GPA or higher, pursuing a major or minor in literature, composition, or other related fields.
The Nu Epsilon chapter at Missouri Valley College offers induction ceremonies during the fall, and provides the opportunity to be a part of The Purple Patch board.
With over 900 active chapters in the US and abroad, more than 1,000 faculty sponsors, and approximately 9,000 members inducted annually, Sigma Tau Delta strives to:
- Confer distinction for high achievement in English language and literature in undergraduate, graduate, and professional studies;
- Provide, through its local chapters, cultural stimulation on college campuses and promote interest in literature and the English language in surrounding communities;
- Foster all aspects of the discipline of English, including literature, language, and writing;
- Promote exemplary character and good fellowship among its members;
- Exhibit high standards of academic excellence; and
- Serve society by fostering literacy.