Whether you are a senior preparing to graduate from MVC, or a family member planning to attend the commencement ceremony, you will find everything you need on this page.
Commencement for Classes of 2019-20 and 2020-21
Please know that we are doing our best to have a safe yet suitable commencement ceremony. This is our updated plan as of 3/16/2021. Covid numbers are declining in our county and things are slowly changing in a positive direction. That being said, if the pandemic worsens or if the local numbers start to rise again, we will be forced to re-evaluate and adjust as needed.
- Commencement will include two classes: 2019-20 and 2020-21, so we anticipate over 300 participants.
Date: May 1, 2021
Time: 2:00 pm (see note on inclement weather below)
Location: Gregg-Mitchell Field (football field)
- Guests will be limited to three guests per graduate. A link to order guest tickets will be sent out via email by April 1st. The three guest limit includes children & babies. Additional tickets will not be issued.
- If the weather forecast is calling for an afternoon shower on May 1st, we will move the ceremony to 11:00 am. In case of inclement weather lasting the entire day, the ceremony will be moved to Burns Gym and no guests will be allowed due to limited space.
- The ceremony will be live streamed and the link will be available on the MVC website closer to the event.
- Graduates will be allowed to “walk” as their name is announced. Diploma covers will be distributed during the line up process. Names will be read and the graduate will proceed to the stage area, walk down the 50 yard line and then circle back to their chair. If you have a name that is difficult to pronounce, please contact Marsha Lashley, Registrar prior to May 1st.
- Honor cords for Presidential Scholars (3.9 – 4.0 GPA) and hoods for graduate students will be included with your cap & gown when you pick it up.
- Cap and gowns were already mailed to the 2019-20 graduates. 2020-21 graduates can pick up their cap and gown in the Registrar’s Office beginning April 26th. The office will also be open on May 1st from 9:00 am until 1:30 pm.
- Chairs for the graduates will be set up directly on the football field turf. Turf and high heeled shoes do not work well together, so in order to be safe please choose your footwear carefully.
- Masks will be required for all in attendance.
- Since commencement takes place before the final grades are due it will be impossible to determine academic honors. Therefore, we will use your current grade point average and announce “with honors” if you have a 3.5 or above. Academic honors (Cum laude; Magna cum laude; Summa cum laude) will be indicated on the diploma.
- Seating is on a first come – first served basis, but will be clearly marked to allow for social distancing. If you have guests that have limited mobility there will be a section of seating available on the track. They should park at the Burns gym and there will be staff members with golf carts to transport guests back and forth.
Below is a list of things that must be done prior to graduating from MVC:
- Final Year Graduation Plan/Application for Graduation
To be completed the semester prior to your final two semesters. The plan should be mapped out exactly and signed by the student and the academic advisor. The plan is to be turned in to the registrar’s office.
- Degree Audit
Completed by the Registrar’s Office staff and sent to the student. The Final Year Graduation Plan/Application for graduation must be turned in for a Degree Audit to be completed. Degree audit deadline: The semester prior to graduation.
- Departmental Approval
To be completed during the final semester on campus and returned to the Registrar’s office. If the student plans on being away during the final semester (internship), the form should be completed prior to departing campus. The form must be signed by the academic advisor, division dean, business office, campus life and financial aid.
Missouri Valley College holds a graduation ceremony once a year in May. Students eligible to participate in the ceremony are students that completed all degree requirements the previous December, students scheduled to complete the degree requirements in May and students that are within 6 hours (or an internship) of completing the degree requirements in the summer.
- Complete 120 credit hours with a grade point average of not less than 2.0.
- Satisfy the General Education Core Curriculum.
- Pass a course of study and examination of the Constitutions of the United States and the State of Missouri by completing either HS 104, HS 105, or PS 100.
- Complete an academic major with a grade point of at least 2.0, with no grade less than “C”, and no pass/fail grades in the major.
- Complete in residence the last 30 credit hours.
- Complete 40 semester hours of upper division courses.
- Satisfy the final year graduation plan worked out during the junior year with the student’s advisor and approved by the Registrar.
- Complete the major assessment requirement.
- Merit the recommendation of the faculty.
- Pay graduation fee of $100.
Seniors who have completed a minimum of 60 graded hours in residence at Missouri Valley College are eligible for graduation honors based on the following overall grade point averages:
- 3.90-4.00 — Summa Cum Laude
- 3.70-3.89 — Magna Cum Laude
- 3.50-3.69 — Cum Laude
REMEMBER – IMPORTANT
- To understand the graduation requirements
- To keep the Registrar’s Office informed of any address changes
- That completing your graduation requirements and paperwork is your responsibility
- That you shouldn’t wait until the last minute to check your progress
- To regularly check your moval.edu email address
- Final Year Graduation Plan/Application for Graduation