Social Science Division
What Can You Do With a Degree in History?
College graduates with a degree in History have valuable skills to sell in today's job market. they know how to do research and gather information, write well, analyze facts, and make sense of change, stasis, and trends. This is useful in a variety of fields, including journalism, law, business, politics, teaching, and writing.
A degree in History is a great place to start if you want to pursue a Master's degree in law, journalism, archival science, librarianship, teaching, and, of course, History.
You can find people with History degrees working as:
- Teachers: This includes grade school, high school, and college level teaching, and also teaching at training institutes, consultant work, and organizational training.
- Politicians: At all levels of government, knowledge of History can be a valuable basis for policy-making and leadership.
- Journalists: History majors know how to find sources, conduct research, interview people, and write stories. Journalism is sometimes called "the first draft of History."
- Archivists: People who work at all kinds of organizations (libraries, businesses, organizations, government, media, etc.) who maintain and acquire artifacts of all kinds (historical documents, business records, historical artifacts, etc.).
- Researchers: People who dig for information that they or others will use to prepare briefings, reports, news stories, books, etc.
- Government Employee: At the local, state, and federal level, History majors are hired for museums, parks, and government office jobs.
- Legal Researchers: Law firms hire History majors to do research, prepare historical background for cases, and gather information for cases.
- Business and Organization Writers: Businesses and organizations publish newsletters, journals, and all kinds of reports, for which they hire people who know how to research and write.
Tamara S. King, Ph.D.
Ph.D. Auburn University
M.A. University of Mississippi
B.A. Franklin College
Tiffany Bergman, M.A., CNP
Assistant Professor, History
M.A. University of Texas, San Antonio
B.A. Missouri Valley College