Master of Arts in Community Counseling
The best way to avoid involvement in litigation is to adhere to professional ethical standards as well as to demonstrate high standards of personal and professional conduct. Professional and ethical practice minimizes the risk of litigation but does not eliminate it. Therefore, the vast majority of professionals, including the Counseling Program faculty, consider professional liability insurance a necessity. The MACC program requires all students to purchase their own liability practice insurance at least one month prior to starting practicum and to maintain active coverage throughout their practicum and internship experiences. Under no circumstances will a student be permitted to begin a practicum or internship without documentation of required liability insurance. Specific insurance requirements include the following:
- Purchasing liability insurance. For example, professional liability insurance is available from Healthcare Providers Service Organization (HPSO): www.hpso.com for approximately $30.00 per year.
- Coverage dates beginning at least one month prior to starting practicum and continuing coverage through all practicum and internship enrollment.
- Proof of $1,000,000/$3,000,000 in claims-made or occurrence-based coverage.
- A copy of the declarations page outlining liability insurance coverage.
- This information must be included in the studentís practicum/internship proposal that is submitted to the Practicum Coordinator.