The Learning Center
Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:30am to 4:00pm.
Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm
Closed Saturday and Sunday.
Rhonda Ryther, Co-Director
The Learning Center provides academic support and encourages students to achieve their full potential.
The Learning Center, nestled on the third floor of Baity Hall, was renovated in the summer of 2002. Students are invited to study in this gorgeous environment complete with the original vaulted wood ceiling, cozy seats, and glorious stained glass windows. Students have access to lightning fast Internet service, tutors in a variety of disciplines, and an open door policy to the office of the director.
The history of this room is the history of the college. MVC alumni knew this room—at various times—as a chapel, a classroom, and a lab. Former students who come back to MVC have wonderful stories to tell about the events they experienced in this room. Current students will, no doubt, add their stories of success to that history.
- Guide students to reach their academic potential while realizing the benefits of academic collaboration.
- Continue professional training of the tutors so that current theories, research, and teaching strategies can be implemented within the program.
- Enhance the retention of students.
- Provide a quiet study environment
- Provide tutors in multiple disciplines
- Assist students with basic computer skills specific to academic success at MVC
- Proctor online and make-up tests
- Provide student access to printer/copy machine
Learning Center Services
In addition to tutoring and test proctoring, listed below are some of the other services provided for students in the Learning Center:
- Assisting students with time management, organizational skills, and good study habits by developing individual study plans
- Assisting students with the use of Moodle, campus email, and formatting for research papers (APA, MLA, etc.)
- Providing accommodations for students who have specific learning needs
- Coordinating conversation groups for English as a second language (ESL) learners
- Assisting students in resume development and filling out internship and employment applications
- Teaching note-taking strategies, test-taking skills, and other classroom learning tips
- Reviewing for C-Base, ACT, and Praxis II tests
- Helping students with pre-enrolling questions before they go to their advisors
The Learning Center is the “happenin’ place” on campus. We continue to experience a high volume of students utilizing a variety of our services and are about the business of helping them solve problems to make their lives easier. We strive to align our services with the MVC mission of “guiding students to succeed through person instruction and intellectual inquiry.” Come join us in this inspirational environment where you can work to realize your full potential.