The Learning Center
Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:30am to 4:00pm.
Friday 7:30am to 3:30pm
Closed Saturday and Sunday.
Carol L. Smith, Director
The Learning Center provides academic support in an inspirational environment encouraging students to achieve their full potential.
The Learning Center, nestled on the third floor of Baity Hall, was renovated in the summer of 2002. Students are invited to study in this gorgeous environment complete with the original vaulted wood ceiling, cozy seats, and glorious stained glass windows. Students have access to lightning fast Internet service, tutors in a variety of disciplines, and an open door policy to the office of the director.
The history of this room is the history of the college. Former students who come back to MVC have wonderful stories to tell about the events and experiences, which happened in this room. MVC alumni knew this room as the chapel, classroom, and lab. Today, students will add their stories of success to that history.
- Provide tutors in multiple disciplines.
- Help students identify potential career strengths and enhance job search education.
- Expand time management, goal setting, and individual study skill plans.
- Assist instructors by providing workshops on test-taking strategies.
- Train students in basic computer skills.
The tutoring program is a free service for MVC students who want and need help developing skills for success in their course work. A list of the hours the tutors work is posted in the Learning Center and is sent to the students via email. We serve walk-ins; however, if you wish to make an appointment with a tutor, call extension 4196.
Learning Center Services
Listed below are some of the services provided for students in the Learning Center:
- Help with career planning, job search activities, and resume writing.
- Assist student in filling out applications for camps, summer jobs, and internships.
- Give make-up test for professors. • Give learning styles inventories.
- Help students use the Internet to put together a personality profile.
- Use student planners to help students learn organizational skills, develop good study habits, discover skills for time management, and identify qualities of good critical thinkers.
- Teach students to be active readers. This is a plan to help students manage the reading load at the college level.
- Teach note-taking strategies such as split-page notes.
- Give workshops and individual tutoring for C-Base, ACT, and Praxis II.
- Help students with pre-enrolling questions before they go to their advisors.
- Provide services for students who have specific learning needs.
The Learning Center is the “happenin’ place” on campus. We continue to experience a steady increase in the number of student sign-ins utilizing a variety of our servies. Come join us in this inspirational environment where you can work to realize your full potential.
We are about the business of solving problems. We always want our services to make the life of the students easier.