Technology Center Built in 2002
The Technology Center houses the Teacher Education Library, the IT Office, Eckilson-Mabee Theatre and several classrooms. Two of these classrooms are "Smart Rooms" with high-tech equipment. Multimedia presentation equipment in both of these rooms is available for classroom use or meetings.
The newly completed Technology Center stands at the northeast corner of the quadrangle on the site of Stewart Chapel. The history of the College is told in its architecture. In 1905, to honor his father, Confederate General A. P. Stewart, Alphonso Chase Stewart promised to give $30,000 for a building to house the music department, a library, and a chapel, if the city would contribute $10,000 and the Presbyterian Church another $40,000. On April 10, 1906, the Masonic Lodge laid the cornerstone for this, the third building on the campus. Ten thousand people attended its dedication on October 19, 1906, among them the Governor, the President of the University of Missouri, the Chancellor of Washington University, and the President of the State Normal School in Warrensburg, predecessor of the University of Central Missouri. Stewart Chapel was considered the heart of the College until it was burned to the ground on February 28, 1973.
Plans were made to replace it, and Mabee Memorial Chapel with its auditorium for theatrical and musical performances was dedicated in 1977, thanks to a gift of $400,000 from the Mabee Foundation of Tulsa, Oklahoma, and an additional $200,000 donated by trustees and other friends of the College.
In 2002 a $4 million, 18,000 square-foot addition to it was completed. Today the south entrance welcomes visitors to a large classroom on the left, the Teacher Education Library ahead, and the Eckilson-Mabee Theatre on the right. The second floor houses the Office of Information Technology, two “smart” classrooms outfitted with up-to-date technology, a costume shop for theatre students, and four more classrooms.
Named for Al Eckilson, alumnus, trustee, and benefactor, the 274-seat theatre has been renovated and equipped with a computerized lighting system, a satellite uplink, a digital IMAX projection unit, and a Dolby 7.1 surround sound system, the same as one in the Royal Opera at Covent Garden in London, England. It is one of the premiere performance facilities in the Midwest.