Ferguson Center Built in 1970
Located at the corner of College Street and Redman Avenue, Ferguson Center houses the information desk, cafeteria, formal lounge, bookstore, radio and television studios, mailboxes, Student Affairs Office, Work and Learn Office, Registrar's Office, Financial Affairs Office, Admissions Office, President's Dining Room, R. Wilson Brown Room, the Nurse's Station, and other facilities.
Anchoring the northwest corner of the quadrangle is the Ferguson Center. Through the doors and down a flight of stairs on the lower level are the college cafeteria, which serves 20,000 meals a week to students, faculty, and staff; a Barnes and Noble Bookstore; the Registrar’s Office; a copy center; a snack bar; the infirmary; classrooms; and the campus television studio operated by mass communication students. On the middle level are the Formal Lounge with trophy cases displaying memorabilia of campus life in years gone by; mailboxes for students; and the Offices of Business, Admissions, Financial Aid, Security, and Student Affairs.
On the top floor are classrooms, faculty offices, a computer lab, and offices for the student newspaper The Delta, first published in 1893, and the Sabiduria yearbook. On the northwest corner are the studio and production facilities of the campus radio station.
The R. Wilson Brown Room, used for banquets and large meetings, hosts the annual Maastricht Institute, a program of seminars for students of business management and entrepreneurship. Founded by noted author and entrepreneur Dr. Benoit Wesley, who has been called the Donald Trump of the Netherlands, the Maastricht Institute brings to Missouri Valley College successful business people from around the nation and the world.
At the top of the southeast staircase are headquarters for the Army Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) and the Humanics program. American Humanics, begun on this campus by former President H. Roe Bartle in 1948, is now in 75 colleges and universities nationwide. It trains leaders for youth service and non-profit organizations such as the Red Cross, the Boy Scouts, and the Girl Scouts.
The building is named in honor of the beloved Professor William Ira “Pop” Ferguson, who has best personified the indomitable spirit of Missouri Valley College. First enrolled in the College’s preparatory academy in 1890, he was graduated with a baccalaureate degree in 1897. Conversant in Latin, Greek, and Russian, he was a “Renaissance man,” an astronomer, itinerant Presbyterian preacher, scholar, athlete, and mathematician. Given his nickname by students, Pop served on the faculty for almost half a century. Though officially retired in 1966, he remained a tutor, counselor, and substitute teacher until the age of 95 years. Pop is fondly remembered for personal letters he wrote to encourage new students and their parents.
An ardent sports fan who attended nearly every football and basketball game, wearing his trademark hat, now bronzed and displayed in a trophy case in the Formal Lounge, Pop spurred athletes on with his famous gesture, a thumb up. He urged adoption of the Viking nickname for athletic teams and coined the College’s motto, “Valley Will Roll!”