IT on the Web
|Connection||Changing Password||Technology Issues||Labs & Wireless Locations||IT Staff|
Connecting to the Moval Network
- Welcome to the Missouri Valley College Information Technology department! IT offers a high speed network connection. Before joining the network, your machine must be registered. If you have not used your machine on the network within 30 days, you will have to re-register. Below are some steps to prepare your machine for our network prior to arrival on campus. You will also find what to expect when registering your machine and information on registering gaming devices, cell phones, tablets and other devices.
- Preparing your machine/laptop
To prepare your machine, you must make sure it has the most recent updates installed. You can find these updates by navigating to "Windows Updates" on your PC or "Software Update" on your Mac.
In addition to the most recent updates, you will need an Antivirus program. Many Antivirus programs are free (AVG, Avast, etc.) If you currently have an antivirus program but it has expired, you will need to uninstall it first before you install an up-to-date program. Having two or more antivirus programs on your machine is like having none at all.
- Registering your machine/laptop
Once all of these steps have been accomplished, you can begin to register. Once you are connected (either wired or wireless), open a browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Safari, etc.). You will be directed to a registration page:
Choose the appropriate option by clicking "START." Enter your MVC username and password. You will then be directed to Run a CSA Client (Bradford Dissolvable Agent.) This scan will make sure your machine is up-to-date (security updates, service packs, Antivirus.) If you took the necessary steps, the scan will complete and you will be successfully registered on the MVC Network. Close the browser, wait for about a minute, open again and you will be able to surf!
If the scan failed, the page will redirect and tell you what you need to update in order to pass the scan for access to the network.
- Registering gaming devices
There are a number of ways to register your gaming device. First, you will need to plug your device into the network via ethernet cable. Follow this link to find the MAC (Media Access Control) address of your device. On a laptop/desktop machine, visit this page to register your device. You will need your MVC username and password along with your MAC address/IP address.
For consoles with browser access, plug your device into the network and pull up a browser. It will direct you to the registration page. Follow the steps above (Registering your machine/laptop) to register your device.
- Registering cell phones/tablets
To register your cell phone/tablet, you can follow the steps above (Registering your machine/laptop.) Pull up a browser and follow the instructions.
- Personal wireless routers are not supported in the residence halls. If you are having trouble registering your electronic device, please have your MAC address in hand, call our IT office (660-831-4066) or stop by (TC 214).
- Server Space
- Students have 2GB of server space for personal use. When a student logs on to a campus computer using their username and password, their personal space will automatically be mapped. To access your server space, double click My Computer and you will see the P: drive. This is your personal space.
- NOTE: Our servers are backed up every night to ensure data redundancy. It is recommended that you save your documents to your P: drive. If you need to transport a document, copy it to a USB drive. This way, there will always be a copy on your P: drive. Saving to the local machine will cause loss of data.
Changing your Password
- Your username and password will give you access to the MVC Network, your MVC email and Moodle. You can change your password at any time. (We recommend that you change your password every month or so.) If you suspect someone is using your password, change it immediately. NEVER give out your password.
- How to make a secure password/passphrase
Your password requires a minimum of 8 characters. It also requires at least three of the following: one upper case character (ABC), one lower case character (abc), one number (123), one special character (!@$). Your password should not contain any part of your username or actual name. If you are changing your password, you will not be able to set it to the previous two passwords used.
- How to change your password
1. Log into a campus computer. 2. Press control-alt-delete. The screen below will appear:
3. Select "Change Password" (lower left). The screen below will appear:
4. Type in your old password and your new password twice. 5. Select OK. You have successfully changed your password.
1. Login to your email by going to www.moval.edu and selecting EMAIL then Viking Mail. 2. Select OPTIONS located in the upper right of the screen.
3. Select CHANGE PASSWORD in the menu located on the left. 4. Enter your old password followed by the new password twice. 5. Click SAVE at the top and you are finished.
Technology Issues (Email, Connectivity, Phone, etc.)
- Troubleshoot Network Connection
- Windows Vista/7:
Open Control Panel Choose Network and Internet Choose Network and Sharing Center On the left, choose Change adapter settings Right click on the LAN connection (if wired) or Wireless connection and choose Properties. Navigate to TCP/IPv4 and choose Properties Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is clicked. Click OK.
- Windows XP:
Open Control Panel Double-click Network Connections Right-click Local Area Connection and choose Properties Navigate to TCP/IP and choose Properties Make sure "Obtain an IP address automatically" is clicked. Click OK.
- Missing Drivers/Disabled Hardware
- Windows Vista/7:
Right-click "Computer" and choose Properties On the left, choose Device Manager Make sure "Network adapters" is not marked with a yellow exclamation, question mark or a red "X" If your network adapter is marked with a red "X", right-click and select "Enable" If your network adapter is marked with a yellow exclamation point or question mark, you are missing the driver. Theses can be obtained through the manufacturer's web site.
- Windows XP:
Right-click "My Computer" and choose Properties Select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager Make sure "Network adapters" is not marked with a yellow exclamation point, question mark or a red "X" If your network adapter is marked with a red "X", right-click and select "Enable" If your network adapter is marked with a yellow exclamation point or question mark, you are missing the driver. These can be obtained through the manufacturer's web site.
- Phone Issues
- Missouri Valley College does not provide long-distance service. You must use a calling card or call collect. Any number beginning with (660) 886 or (660) 831 is a local number. To dial any local number, first dial 9 to reach an outside line then dial your number. Outside callers can call your room directly by dialing (660) 831- (your 4-digit extension). They can also call (660) 831-4000 to reach the switchboard. To reach Blosser Hall, outside callers must dial (660) 831-0902, wait for the prompts and enter the room extension.
- Viking Email Issues
- If your email becomes full, make sure to delete your "Deleted Items" from time to time. If utilizing Web Access, to delete all your "Deleted Items," click your Deleted Items, click the top checkbox above your list and click Delete. You also want to make sure to delete your "Sent Items" from time to time. You can also delete specific emails while keeping others. Click the checkbox in front of the email you want to delete and click Delete.
Computer Labs & Wireless Locations
Missouri Valley College's Computer Labs are located in various locations on campus. They provide different services and technologies depending on which lab is visited.
Labs are periodically monitored for illegal use of campus computers. Anyone that violates the Computer Lab Policy will lose network privileges for an extended period of time.
Note: The campus computing facilities are closed during the college's scheduled holidays and breaks such as Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring Break.
- Murrell Memorial Library
- Advanced Lab - Rm 10L, Collins Science Center
- General Lab - Rm 12, Collins Science Center
- Mass Communication Lab - G13, Ferguson Center
- POD Studio (Graphic Design Lab) - Baity 302, Baity Hall
- The MVC IT Department offers wifi in all of our administrative buildings. Wifi is also available in two of the residential buildings. Below is a listing. Personal wireless routers are not supported in the residence halls.
Burns Athletic Complex
Collins Science Center
Ferguson Center Cafeteria
Murrell Library Commons
Porter Brown Rodeo Residence Hall
School of Nursing